Friday, May 1, 2009

The Long Version

A week ago, Davis came home and told me he was assigned a speaking and singing part in the 2nd Grade music program. He already told me that he had told his teacher he did not want a part or a solo, so I was surprised when the note came home. He was excited because he would be singing with 2 of his buddies in a trio and he had changed his tune about having a line. OK...wolf boy Davis it is. That night happened to be the church choir program. His buddy Zane came along to see them perform. Davis pretty much looked like this through the whole thing.
At one point, I leaned over to Jason and asked if he thought Davis looked sick. It was that bad. So, the next morning before school, I talked to Davis about his role in the school program. I told him he could not go on stage and do what he had done at church and he needed to decide if he really wanted to speak and sing. He went to music that morning and told his teacher he did not want the speaking line, but would sing with his buddies still. That evening, he thought he made a mistake. I figured it was too late to do anything about it because the part was probably re-assigned that morning in class, sooo I told him he made the right decision and then I was kicking myself because the tone of our talk the day before leaned more toward talking him out of the role instead of encouraging him to try. The next day, his music teacher caught him in the hall and asked him to reconsider and when I saw her, she told me he was back on for playing the part. ( I told you this is the looonnnnnggggg version....for the record!!!) After school he was not so sure and flat out said no way. All weekend, I tried talking him into trying. No way. Then at school on Monday in the rehearsal, he changed his mind. (Well that and he brought home a notice about the book fair with a Star Wars book in it so maybe, just maybe some bribery entered the picture and sealed the deal. I am so glad. During the songs, he sang with a smile on his face and doing the motions!

There he is, right about in the middle of the picture.

When it was time for his line, he went up to the microphone and said his lines loud and clear...absolutely no hesitation and the same for his trio. I am so proud of him. We both learned a lesson...I have no business trying to discourage him from trying something new and he learned what it will be like one day when he walks up to another microphone to thank the academy for their support.

0 comments: