Thursday, September 18, 2008

Funny Thing

Davis read me a bedtime story tonight!!


Last year, Davis made great strides in his reading but he always got hung up on fluency. What is this you ask??? It means the speed he was reading. He could read the words, but not fast enough...according to district guidelines. Last week, at a meeting with the teachers, they mentioned things had changed and fluency was no longer going to be an issue for Davis. I did a little dance of joy!! This afternoon, I saw his 1st grade teacher and mentioned it to her. She asked if I knew why...I had been told the district finally listened to the teachers and changed reading to put an emphasis on COMPREHENSION...not SPEED. Her reply, "that and the district reading coordinator's daughter could not make it in fluency either." Funny thing!

1 comments:

Tisha said...

Pretty fall background.
Isn't it nice when they read to you? One of my favorite things....