Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Choose Your Battles

They say in parenting to choose your battles. One battle I have not "fought" was Davis' hair. The boy has a thick head of hair and it gets pretty unruly.


He was about 18 months old the first time I buzzed it and we kept it that way until 1st grade when he announced he no longer wanted it buzzed.
I tried....it's cooler, it's cheaper since I can cut it, you look really good, lots of boys have their hair short. None of it worked. He wanted long hair.
I had to take a step back because I pretty much know where he got it from. And no, this time, I don't mean his father. So he let it grow and Grow and GROW.
A couple of weeks ago, he mentioned he might be ready for a new style. The other "in" style, short and spiked up at the front. Then it was more than a mention....he was ASKING for a haircut. It's the least I can do. So after school yesterday, we headed up to Sport Clips. He got in the chair and told the lady what he wanted. I haven't ever cried over first haircuts, but I just about shed tears of joy yesterday watching her take the clippers to his mane. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face when he was finished. She spiked it up just right and he looked like a different child. And HE was happy, too! His best friend actually clapped for him!!

I forgot to take a picture before he showered last night and didn't have the right dippity do for spiking it this morning, so here is the "sort of after" of my handsome boy.

The thing about it is, this kid is amazing. He knows what he wants, what he likes. He really doesn't care what others think. He's got a great head on his shoulders and even though it weighs considerably less today, it is full of good stuff. The stuff that makes this mama proud that he's mine!!!

0 comments: