Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Science Fair




Davis had the opportunity of doing a science fair project this year. Actually, it was a requirement, but who is keeping track! I am a science fair project veteran and happen to enjoy science very much. But being on the parent end of a science fair project is a whole different ball game! I was determined not to do it for him and really struggled where the line of appropriate help crossed into taking over. Back in November, he brought home a packet with all the rules and information and a SCHEDULE. Every Friday, he had the next element of his project due. There would be no all nighter the weekend before projects! I have to admit because lots of the restrictions had to do with biological projects, my ideas were trashed. Davis spent some time looking for ideas and settled on a marble roller coaster. He learned about potential and kinetic energy, friction and gravity. A hypothesis here, some research there and he was on his way. Over the Christmas break, he and Jason set up the garage and built the roller coaster and conducted his experiment. He finished his project and made his display for the science fair.




The school hosted a fun science night filled with experiments and a chance to see all of the projects. The evening was capped off by announcing the winners. Davis was so hopeful his name would be called. He was really crushed when he didn't win and it broke my heart. I know he worked so hard and I knew he had a great project. When the score sheet came home and we looked over it, he was scored in the "excellent" range for all categories. I am really proud of him!!


1 comments:

Grandma Jill said...

That's so funny that he picked a roller coaster! I just got the irony.